Tuesday, October 15, 2013

My top Nigerian contemporary music artists

This is an evolving list of my top Nigerian music artists.  You'll find them on my iPod and I play them all the time.

Tuface

To truly appreciate Tuface, you MUST watch him perform live. His ability to freestyle and create lyrics on-the-spot is legendary. If he was a rapper, he would be a rap battle god. In summary, his live performances are electrifying and studio albums a pleasure to listen to. His musical marriage with Producer, J-Sleek is a match made in heaven.







StylPlus

StylPlus redefined contemporary Nigerian RnB. They made it grown up and sexy. 








Sound Sultan

Lyrics matter. Sound Sultan is a lyricist non pareil and musical craftsman. 











MI

MI made me fall in love with rap again. He made rap "musical" and demonstrated that it needn't be loud or profane.








Wizboyy

Apparently I have a thing for music from the Niger-Delta. Wizboy is all about natural harmony, effortless melody and great music!











Sunny Neji

I fell in love with Neji's album, Unchained. I'm an album junkie and feast on entire albums not just individual singles. On Unchained, every track is a winner.










Wizkid

Wizkid sings populist commercial tracks but is a bundle of true genius.








Psquare

A tad commercial but Psquare's music is VERY easy on the ears. They put on a VERY good show. These guys know how to dance!





D'banj

Dbanj's music is well em... But he defines charisma, dedication, ambition & hardwork. HE IS AN ENTERTAINER.











Tiwa Savage

Tiwa's was a highly anticipated album. Not sure the result, Once Upon a Time, met expectations but it's always a pleasure to hear her sing.






Banky W.

I am very biased. His sideburns make me forget everything else. Okay, I really like his music too. 











Omawunmi

Omawunmi defines gritty creativity, energy and hard work. She is progressively talented.











Waje

Darn! This girl can siiiing! From featured vocals to an album of her very own, Words Aren't Just Enough, Waje has come a long way, baby!

2 comments:

Buzuzu said...

Your analyses are on-point (as I have come to expect). What does the word "Contemporary" even mean?

Tessa said...

I like P-square
They are cool and dynamic.
I like Sound Sultan, I have interviewed him, he is so big about
family and all the moms love him
Very well brought up.